December 8, 2011

Double Ginger Cookies for Eva and Carolyn

My twin nieces were born yesterday, full-on redheaded and full-on adorable. I cannot wait to meet these precious girls, teach them to match pitch, listen to good music, speak German, shop for shoes online...wait. Maybe those things are just for me. In any case, I am an auntie! And aunties are supposed to be good for things like that, correct? Eva and Carolyn are such lucky little ducks, to have not only amazing parents but also a slew of doting aunts, uncles, and grandparents who are all ready to spoil them silly.


So in honor of my gorgeous double ginger nieces, I am baking gorgeous double ginger cookies. I realize that the last post also centered on ginger(bread), but when you have twin ginger nieces, you can never have too much of the stuff. Plus fresh ginger simmering on the stove makes any kitchen smell oh-so-good and warm.




 Ginger is spicy business and I revved up this recipe to be heavy both on ginger powder and fresh candied ginger. The result is a cookie that is very light, soft, and spicily refreshing. These cookies are so very versatile: make them in the summer and serve alongside fresh peaches or blueberries, or in the winter and for your next Christmas party. Let them age into gingersnaps for a cookie suitable for coffee-dunking, or have them warm from the oven. Whatever you do, make sure that you don't skimp on the ginger in this recipe. After all, we all have gingers in our lives - let's celebrate them!



Double Ginger Cookies
Makes about 2 dozen


2 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 heaping teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup unsulphered molasses
1 large egg

Combine dry ingredients in large bowl and set aside. In a stand mixer, combine brown sugar, vegetable oil, and molasses and mix on low speed until all ingredients are thoroughly combined, about 1 minute. Add egg and mix about 1 minute longer, scraping down the sides and bottom of bowl to full incorporate all ingredients. Sift dry ingredients into wet mix and blend on low speed for about 2 minutes, or until all ingredients are combined. The dough should be slightly stiff and a little on the dry side. Transfer dough to a sheet of plastic wrap and roll into a log, about 2 inches in diameter. Refrigerate for about 4 hours (or as long as a Bach Christmas Oratorio dress rehearsal takes).

Candied Ginger


1 lb ginger root
2 cups water
2 cups sugar

Peel and finely dice ginger root; set aside. Heat water and sugar on medium heat until sugar is completely dissolved. Add ginger bits and simmer on medium low for about an hour, until ginger is soft and cooked through, and the liquid is the consistency of syrup. Drain syrup into a jar or bottle and preserve (for ginger ale and other ginger-related drinks). Spread softened ginger on a sheet of waxed paper or parchment paper and sprinkle with sugar.

Let cool completely. Keep out of reach of redheaded fiance. (I'm surrounded, I tell you.)

Preheat oven to 350 F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Cut slices of refrigerated ginger dough, about one inch thick. Place on cookie sheet about 2 inches apart and make a small indent with your thumb in the center of each. Press several pieces of candied ginger into the center of each cookie. Bake for 13 minutes and remove immediately from oven. Let cool on wire rack.

Make these for the redhead(s) in your life and enjoy the smell of spicy ginger in your kitchen for many days to come. I for one will be looking at pictures of my baby nieces for the next several days. I'm just glad I have at least some form of double ginger to keep me company until I meet the real things.

2 comments:

  1. This is a smashing idea and I hope they'll be some leftover for Sunday's concert reception!

    Also, after a few fails, I finally figured out my shampoo recipe. Honey as an emulsifier - how grand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm... obvi I mean "there'll". I blame autocorrect, yes I do...

    ReplyDelete